Recipes we’ve collected over the years from Cooking Demos during “Flavour of Killorglin”, recipes from local restaurants and people of Killorglin. Now you can recreate those amazing dishes at home. Enjoy!
The menu is based on the concept of ‘tapas fusion’ and reflects seasonal availability. An open kitchen gives a glimpse into the heart of our business and the buzz of the kitchen shows the passion of very dedicated team. At Sol y Sombra they are passionate about wine offering and love bringing new and interesting styles and grapes to customers each year. – www.solysombra.ie
PAELLA MIXTA (serves 4)
- 1 monk fish tail
- 1 red pepper sliced into 1 inch strips
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup or 30ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 100 grams of chicken
- 100 grams of pork
- 100 grams of squid
- 10-12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 16 Mussels
- 2 ½ cups or 250g short-grain Paella rice
- 2 medium tomatoes (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 30 threads of saffron, crushed
- 50g of green peas
- 7 cups chicken broth
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Put the saffron and 1⁄4 cup hot water in a small bowl; let it sit for 15 minutes.
- Season chicken, fish, shrimp and squid, with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a 16″–18″ paella pan over medium-high heat. For 2 Please use smaller.
- Add chicken, shrimp, and pork and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer shrimp squid and fish to a plate, leaving meats in pan.
- Add paprika, garlic, tomatoes, and onions to pan and cook, stirring often, until onions soften, about 6 minutes.
- Add reserved saffron mixture and broth, season with salt, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Sprinkle in rice, distribute evenly with a spoon, and add peppers.
- Cook, without stirring, until rice has absorbed most of the liquid, 12-15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add reserved shrimp and mussels.
- Cook, without stirring, until mussels have opened and rice has absorbed the liquid and is al dente, 5–10 minutes more.
- Remove pan from heat, cover with aluminium foil, and leave to sit for 5 minutes before eating.
Jacks’ Coastguard Restaurant Kerry is located just 5 minutes from the towns of Killorglin & Glenbeigh in the fishing village of Cromane, on the Ring of Kerry route. Jacks’ Coastguard restaurant offers a unique dining experience in one of the most popular seafood restaurants in Kerry where you can relax, take in the scenery and enjoy superb cuisine. – www.jackscromane.com
TEMPURA OF TIGER PRAWNS WITH SWEET CHILLI SAUCE
Sweet Chilli Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 Large Red Chilli, finely chopped
- 125 ml of Rice Wine Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 90 g Caster Sugar
- ½ Clove of Garlic, crushed & chopped
Mix all the ingredients together and leave to chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve
Tempura Batter Ingredients:
- 50 g Plain Flour
- 50 g Corn Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 150 ml – 180ml Cold Soda Water
- Mix dry ingredients in a deep bowl, make a well in the centre
- Add liquid slowly while stirring to form a smooth batter
- Place prawns in plain flour to coat
- Shake off excess flour before placing in batter
- Drop prawns in batter and deep fry for 4-5 minutes until crisp & golden brown
If you are looking for the perfect hideaway which offers peace, tranquillity, plus a wonderful restaurant on the lake, Carrig, on the Ring of Kerry and Wild Atlantic Way is the place for you. The beautifully appointed bedrooms, drawing rooms and The Lakeside Restaurant, overlooking Caragh Lake and the majestic Kerry mountains are considered the perfect treat. Carrig boasts one of the finest restaurants in Kerry using the best local farm and garden produce plus an abundance of fresh fish from the nearby Atlantic. – www.carrighouse.com
CHOCOLATE DELICE WITH SALTED CARAMEL
Salted Caramel Ingredients:
- 250 g granulated sugar
- 25 ml water
- 150 ml double cream
- 150 g unsalted butter diced
- Maldron sea salt to taste
- Put the sugar and water in a pot and cook until a rich deep golden caramel is obtained.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add double cream little by little.
- Whisk until the caramel has dissolved
- Cool slightly, then whisk in the butter a little at a time.
- Add the salt pinch by pinch until you are happy with the flavour.
- Leave to cool completely.
- Can be made in advance and stored.
Chocolate Delice Ingredients:
- 300 g 72% chocolate
- 25 g unsalted butter
- ½ gelatine leaf soaked in water
- 25 ml hot water
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 g bitter cocoa powder
- 200ml olive oil
- 145 g egg whites
- Put the chocolate in a bowl and melt over bain-barie stir in the butter, then take off heat and place aside
- Put the hot water in a bowl and the squeezed out gelatine stirring until dissolved. Set aside
- Whisk the egg yolk and cocoa powder together in machine lightly.
- With mixer on low speed and olive oil little by little as if making mayonnaise.
- Add in the gelatine water and carefully add the mix to the chocolate mix.
- Then whisk the egg whites by hand and fold into the mix.
- Pour into moulds 5cm high 5cm diameter. Filling just 2/3 full and equally filled
- Chill in the fridge for 2 hours until set
- Keep the remaining mix out at room temp
- When its set push it up the sides of the moulds with your finger so a well is formed in the middle again all equally done.
- Pour in the salted caramel to just below the top of the mould.
- Place a chocolate disc on top (optional)
- Fill with remaining chocolate mix and return to the fridge until needed.
- 4 Beef fillet steaks (5oz)
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 15 g Butter
- 100 g Shallots
- 250 g Puff pastry
- 75 ml Dry white wine
- 250 g Wild mushrooms
- Salt & ground black pepper
- 2 Spring onions (chopped)
- Season beef, seal off in hot pan with a little oil. When sealed set aside,
- Saute shallots off in hot pan, add mushrooms, season & cook out. Place in bowl.
- Rub mustard onto beef, place mushroom mixture on top, place prosciutto on top & wrap in puff pastry.
- Egg wash pastry. Leave to rest in fridge for 10 to 15mins
- Place in hot oven (200”C for 15 to 20mins, until golden brown.
- Remove from oven & leave to rest for 5 mins.